Monday, July 11, 2011

Urban exploration, Greek style.


I’ve arrived at my final stop, Patmos. In just over 24 hours I’ll be on a ferry headed back to Athens to fly home.

I wouldn’t have had time to see the monastery and the Cave of the Apocalypse properly today, so I decided to do a little exploring around the island, which means what it usually means for me: climb up a big hill/mountain and get some panoramic shots.


This time however, there was a bit of a snag: around the area of Patmos’ ancient Acropolis, there was quite a bit of wire fencing, spiky weeds and stone walls, seemingly impeding my path back down to street level.

I drew on my experience in urban exploration to find creative ways to get around the many obstacles in my way, while also sneaking into some pretty cool looking places I probably shouldn’t have been in.



What can I say? I hate going back the way I came, especially when the way I came is almost directly uphill.

It was totally worth the extra effort, and suffered nary a scratch while doing so. I guess after three weeks I’ve got this thing down to a science.

I also managed to find a cheap and nice place to stay just a couple of blocks from the port, so I’ll be hanging out here tonight to rest up for the journey to Hora and the aforementioned sightseeing tomorrow morning, then perhaps one last stop at a beach before packing up and beginning the long journey back to Toronto.

You’ve been great to me, Greece...let’s bring it on home!

No comments: