Sunday, July 10, 2011

Two Acropolises for the price of none.


Acropolises? Acropoli? Acropolix?

Anyway, I managed to find my way out of the maze that is Rhodes Old Town to explore more of the island.

Yesterday I went to Lindos, a medieval village that was once the major trading centre of the island before Rhodes Town was built.

It has a pretty impressive Acropolis, and I was able to get in for free since one of the dudes I went with was a student and got free admission.

He was too tired and hot to go up so he gave me his ticket, and off I went to the top.


So was it as good as the famous Acropolis in Athens? Well, that one cost €12 to get into, and this one would have cost me €6, so I'd say half as good is a fair and accurate assessment of the Acropolis of Lindos.

Then at night we headed back to an area of the New Town nicknamed "Bar Street". You can probably figure out what goes on there.

The clubs in Rhodes are different from the ones in Toronto in several key ways: there are no lines, no cover, and no reason to show up early. In fact, there are people working there whose sole job is to get clubbers to come into theirs.

One of these people is staying in my room in the Old Town; he's from Nigeria and has worked in several cities in Europe; he's very interested in coming to Canada to work and live.

We've had several conversations about the harsh realities that most Africans deal with on a daily basis, whether at home or abroad. Even in countries like Nigeria that are relatively wealthy, all the money is being appropriated by a corrupt government that gives little to nothing back to its people.

It really makes me appreciate how lucky I am to be able to live the life that I have, and at the same time it shames me to realize how much I take that life for granted.

Today I walked over to the Acropolis of Rhodes, which wasn't as impressive as the ones in Athens or Lindos, but was still a nice change of pace from the hustle and bustle of the city.



I have an early ferry to Patmos tomorrow morning, so I'll likely have a quiet night of packing and relaxing, unless I get compelled to hit up Bar Street for the third consecutive night.

That's the great thing about Greece; it's after 9 PM here and I don't even have to think about what's going on tonight for another 3 hours or so. Just one of the things I will miss about this amazing country.

No comments: